I was nominated for this tag by my book blogging friend Danielle of “The Introverted Book Nerd.” You best go over to her blog and follow her because she is pretty darn awesome and her reviews/content are always on point!
1. Thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
2. Write a post to show your award.
3. Give a brief story of how your blog started.
4. Give two pieces of advice to new bloggers.
5. Select 15 other bloggers you want to give this award to.
HOW MY BLOG STARTED
My friend, Alexis of Alexis’ Treasures, had started a toy blog. I felt that I could do that, but I wouldn’t want to do toys, so I started looking to see if there was a community for those that love books, since I had always felt like I was living on an island of loving to read by myself. I started watching YouTube videos (BookTube as it is called) and I would watch for hours at a time. As a transgender person still trying to get “okay” with themselves I just couldn’t see myself going in that direction. I couldn’t be that person in the BookTube community or just a token that was kept around for the sake of diversity. I felt like I didn’t belong there because of all this and also just an internal feeling I had that I wasn’t a good fit for the video world. I started thinking about what I could do and I realized I have always enjoyed writing, even though I am not always the best at writing or following grammar. To me it felt like I still wanted to have a voice that I hadn’t had. I started on blogger and stopped because it got way too stuck on content that I wasn’t wanting to lean towards (toys) because I couldn’t find my own voice, so I disappeared for six months. I then came back with a renewed vigor. That vigor said to do what I wanted. I was still on blogger at that time. I started a twitter account and found a group chat through there. It was through this group that I started to realize I would be afforded different opportunities on WordPress. I made the switch and haven’t regretted it since. It has felt like I have to rebuild a little, but this blog (this one you are reading) feels like I am finally doing what I want to do. I feel like all the other voices saying that you have to be this or that in this community have been stripped away. I don’t listen to them now. I just do me.
- There is going to be a voice that sometimes tells you that you are not good enough or that no one cares about your reviews. Don’t listen to that voice! There is an entire community. It may take a minute or two to find your group, but understand it is out there. There are people that will embrace and love you. They will help build you up and help you feel like you have a place in this great place where we discuss books. Remember always that is what this is about: sharing our love of books. It is our passion and we share this commonality, so if that voice says you don’t belong tell it that EVERYONE THAT LOVES TO READ BELONGS HERE!
- Remember always that this is a hobby and something you are supposed to enjoy. If you ever feel like it is chore then something is off. You need to figure out what is causing you to feel like it is a chore and figure out what you are wanting to do. It doesn’t matter what the popular thing is. A new tag can’t keep you going if you hate tags. If you don’t like doing book hauls and want to do primarily reviews DO IT! Also don’t be so concerned about “views” instead remember to be true to yourself. Having fewer viewers and knowing your happy is better than trying to fit a circle peg into a square pegs hole. You won’t feel better with higher viewers if the content is not something you enjoy. You will just eventually stop blogging because you are not happy. Find happiness with your blogging and do it. Always do what you want with the blogging community. Be true to yourself and if someone tell you to be anything other than your own content and yourself tell them to come see me. I will get them correct really quick!
So I am not nominating anyone… That isn’t my thing. I don’t like telling people what to do with their own blog and passion, so instead if you read this and you want to be nominated to tell us about your blog start and advice you want to give others please DO IT and let me know! I will read it because I love seeing these stories and advice.